History of C Language:
Around in 1960’s the 2 most important programming languages
COBOL [Common Business Oriented Language] => commercial Applications
FORTRAN [Formula Translation] for Scientific & Engineering Application
ALGOL(Algorithim Language), 1958
CPL(Combined Programming Language) – Christopher Strachey, Cambridge, mid-1960
BCPL(Basic Combined Programming Language) – Martin Richerds,Cambridge,1967
B – Ken Thompson, BTL,1969
Dennis Ritchie – BTL,1972
C is a General-purpose programming language (we can develop Business and Engineering applications.)C was developed by Denis Ritchie to Recode Unix operating System in 1969-1972 at AT&T Bell Laboratories, USA.
Characteristics of ‘C’:
C Support 44 operators, 32 keywords and 14 separators.
C is a Case-Sensitive Language.
Every c statement ends with a semi column (;)
The c language supports large set of library functions.
C is a procedure(Function)Oriented / Structure oriented programming language./Modular Programming Language.
C Language Features:
• Structured approach
• Rich set of library functions, data types etc.
2. Bit Manipulation:
C Programs can be manipulated using bits. We can perform different operations at bit level.
Can be executed in many machines
4. Mid-level programming language
• Used to do low level programming.(kernel, driver etc.)
• Supports the feature of high level language.
5. Modular Programming
• Modular programming is a software design technique that increases the extent to which software is composed of separate parts, called modules
6. Rich Library
• Provides many inbuilt functions to sw development fast.
7. Memory Management
• The compilation and execution time of C language is fast.
• Call/Use the function within the function.
• Easily adopt new features.
Applications of C Language:
1. OS (Unix, Linux)
2. Applications(Business/Engineering App)
4. Text Editors(notepad/Word)
5. DataBase (Oracle,Mysql)